The Adelaide Refinery at Port Stanvac, located south of Adelaide near Lonsdale, was demolished in early 2014 and a project is underway to remediate the site to a standard suitable for future industrial use.
The Tighes Hill Terminal began operating as a petroleum storage and distribution facility in 1936 following the land reclamation from inter-tidal mangrove flat. The Depot commenced operation as a truck depot in the late 1980s. Mobil became the owner of both properties in 1991 as part of the national acquisition of facilities from Esso.
In early December 2006, petrol odours were identified emanating from a stormwater drain near the corner of Challis and Market Streets, Newport, Victoria.