Following extensive investigations and excavation work, a small hole was found in the No 1 Product Pipeline which transports petrol between the Mobil Altona Refinery and the fuel terminals in Yarraville/Newport. The pipeline was repaired prior to Christmas 2006.
Mobil is now undertaking extensive work to clean up the affected area. This work began in December 2006, and is being done in close liaison with the EPA and the Hobsons Bay Council, among other authorities.
An independent environmental auditor has been appointed to oversee this work, and has prepared an environmental audit report that is available from the EPA. The report states that:
- there is no imminent risk of an environmental hazard in the area;
- there are no current health concerns for the community from soil or groundwater which may have been impacted by petrol;
- the remediation strategy proposed by Mobil is generally sound and appropriate;
- soil impacts are limited to services trenches around the original release site; and
- comprehensive air quality monitoring has been conducted and there are no issues for residential areas.
Our community hotline (1800 659 527) is available 24 hours, 7 days a week to receive calls and arrange for answers to your questions.
These fact sheets offer information on a range of topics relating to the leak, and the progress we are making to clean up the site.
ExxonMobil Environment Policy