Located 13 kilometres west of Melbourne, Mobil Altona Refinery has been fuelling Victoria since 1949.
Altona Refinery operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, processing crude oil into a range of petroleum products to supply around half of Victoria's refined fuel needs.
The refinery plays a very important role in Victoria’s fuel supply chain and contributes to the local and state economy by providing employment opportunities, supporting suppliers and industrial customers and producing refined fuel products that are essential to everyday life.
Altona Refinery facts
- Altona refinery produces up to 14.5 million litres of refined products per day - enough to fill more than 330,000 cars.
- Petrol represents approximately 60 percent of production, with diesel representing a further 30 percent and jet fuel around 10 percent. The percentage of each product depends on the type of feedstock used - different types of crude oil, for example, will produce more or less LPG from the refining process.
- After processing, refined products are pumped into storage tanks to await distribution. There are around 100 storage tanks at the Altona Refinery which hold refined products or crude oil.
- Around 90 percent of products are transported by pipeline from the refinery to Mobil's Yarraville terminal and other industry terminals for distribution by road.
- The refinery supplies feedstock for the nearby Altona chemical complex, which in turn supplies feedstocks to a number of petrochemical manufacturing plants at Altona. These plants produce the raw material from which a multitude of consumer products are made.
- In line with Victorian regulatory requirements, Altona Refinery is registered as a Major Hazard Facility because it stores, handles, and processes large quantities of flammable products.
- Mobil operates Altona Refinery in accordance with the Victorian EP Act (1970) and the applicable EPA licence for the site.
- Altona Refinery’s Bright Future Grants support maths and science education in local schools and kindergartens. The refinery also supports local environmental projects and community organisations through its contributions program.
- The refinery provides employment for around 300 people and generates many thousand additional jobs through links with the wider community.
Learn more about how Altona Refinery has been contributing to our local community at the Mobil community news page.
If you would like more information about the Altona refinery and for all general enquiries relating to the refinery, please email us at CommunityANZ@exxonmobil.com.
For urgent matters regarding the refinery's operations, Altona Refinery has a 24-hour community hotline for local residents and community members. The free-call number is 1800 659 527.
For other enquiries please refer to the Contact Us page of this website.
SMS notification for local residents
Altona Refinery sends an SMS notification to registered local community members in the event of an issue at the refinery which may cause concern. If you are a local resident and would like to register to receive messages from Altona Refinery, you can download the form and return it to: Mobil Altona Refinery, Community Relations, Locked Bag 40, Altona North VIC 3015.
Downstream operationsEach year in Australia, we extract and refine millions of barrels of oil and store and transport billions of litres of fuel to help meet the community’s energy needs.
Energy and environment Topic
Fuel terminalsExxonMobil operates fuel distribution terminals in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide and has access to fuel terminals in other locations to support our reliable supply of high-quality Mobil fuel in every state of Australia.
Downstream Article •
Upstream operationsWe are progressing new projects to help meet the world’s growing gas demand.
Energy and environment Topic