Located 13 kilometres west of Melbourne, Mobil Altona Refinery has been fuelling Victoria since 1949.
Altona Refinery operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, processing crude oil into a range of petroleum products to supply around half of Victoria's refined fuel needs.
The refinery plays a very important role in Victoria’s fuel supply chain and contributes to the local and state economy by providing employment opportunities, supporting suppliers and industrial customers and producing refined fuel products that are essential to everyday life.
Altona Refinery facts
- Altona refinery produces up to 14.5 million litres of refined products per day - enough to fill more than 330,000 cars.
- Petrol represents approximately 60 percent of production, with diesel representing a further 30 percent and jet fuel around 10 percent. The percentage of each product depends on the type of feedstock used - different types of crude oil, for example, will produce more or less LPG from the refining process.
- After processing, refined products are pumped into storage tanks to await distribution. There are around 100 storage tanks at the Altona Refinery which hold refined products or crude oil.
- Around 90 percent of products are transported by pipeline from the refinery to Mobil's Yarraville terminal and other industry terminals for distribution by road.
- The refinery supplies feedstock for the nearby Altona chemical complex, which in turn supplies feedstocks to a number of petrochemical manufacturing plants at Altona. These plants produce the raw material from which a multitude of consumer products are made.
- In line with Victorian regulatory requirements, Altona Refinery is registered as a Major Hazard Facility because it stores, handles, and processes large quantities of flammable products.
- Mobil operates Altona Refinery in accordance with the Victorian EP Act (1970) and the applicable EPA licence for the site.
- Altona Refinery’s Bright Future Grants support maths and science education in local schools and kindergartens. The refinery also supports local environmental projects and community organisations through its contributions program.
- The refinery provides employment for around 350 people and generates many thousand additional jobs through links with the wider community.
Learn more about how Altona Refinery has been contributing to our local community at the Mobil community news page.
Community hotlineAltona Refinery has a 24-hour community hotline which residents and community members can call to get information about the refinery at any time. The free-call number is 1800 659 527.
SMS notification for local residents
Altona Refinery sends an SMS notification to registered local community members in the event of an issue at the refinery which may cause concern. If you are a local resident and would like to register to receive messages from Altona Refinery, you can download the form and return it to: Mobil Altona Refinery, Community Relations, Locked Bag 40, Altona VIC 3018.
Altona Refinery - fuelling Victoria and supporting our economy
Altona Refinery has seen substantial changes in the scale and scope of its operations over the years, but remains one of Victoria’s most important industrial facilities.
When a refinery in Altona was first announced in the 1940s, there was a great amount of anticipation and the project was seen as significant for the economy. The refinery remains an important part of the economy, directly providing hundreds of jobs for Victorians and indirectly supporting thousands of additional jobs in the community, while contributing millions of dollars each year in taxes and rates to government, and grants to local schools and community groups.
Mobil is committed to supporting Altona Refinery’s ongoing success and is proud of its standing as one of the most efficient and competitive refineries in the world. Mobil is focused on continually improving the safety, reliability and capability of our operations in Melbourne’s West so that we remain a reliable supplier of choice for locally-refined, high-quality fuels to Victoria well into the future.
- Supplies around half of Victoria’s refined fuel needs.
- Contributes around $270 million to the Victorian economy every year.
- Provides jobs for 350 people while indirectly supporting thousands of other jobs.
- Pays over $1 million in rates to Hobsons Bay City Council and around $3 million in fees and charges to City West Water each year.
- Generates approximately $2.9 million in annual payroll taxes to the Victorian Government.
Altona refinery: how we fuel Victoria
Energy and environment Topic
Downstream Article •
Energy and environment Topic